Wednesday, February 3, 2010

A Sweet Goodbye

Hello, my name is Sarah and I'm addicted to sugar. It may sound silly to some. Surely with so many more "serious" addictions out there, sugar isn't such a big deal. In truth, the human body becomes addicted to sugar in the same way as alcohol and heroin. The effects are less in most people, but the pathways are the same. In some, like myself, the body reacts in a much stronger way and the addiction can be tough to kick. There are some physical ramifications to this as well, but today I wanted to talk about the main reason that our family is kicking the sugar habit.

Paul writes in 1 Corinthians that while everything is permissable (to eat), not everything is beneficial. And while everything is allowed, "I will be mastered by no thing." I serve only one master in this life - or try to - and will no longer be mastered by sugar. Like those in AA, I recognize that I am powerless over this addiction and that only God's work in my life will be sufficient to overcome it. I am so grateful for what He is about to do!

Today is Day 4 in this new walk. It is tough for me, perhaps tougher for my children whom I confess I have trained badly in this area, but it is exciting to have been free for four whole days! I look forward to what God will do in the future. Please pray with (and for) our family as we step out in faith to do, as my aunt says, "the next right thing."

Sarah

holy experience

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

One Thousand Gifts

holy experience