Monday, February 8, 2010

Render Unto Caesar


The kids and Rob and I just listened to this story from the Gospel of Matthew the other day. Jesus answers with cleverness and honesty the question about what obedience we owe our civil governments. He also reminds us not to forget to give to God what is His.

I am one of those strange people that enjoys filing my tax return. Don't get me wrong, I can be incredibly frustrated with the brokenness of our tax system, but I enjoy getting it done and with four children on a pastor's salary, we're usually getting something back. So yesterday (this wouldn't post on Monday) I finished our taxes. Two jobs, two states (our mistake), self-employment and other sundry issues make our tax return fairly complicated. But they're done, and I am grateful.

In finishing, however, I wonder if I'm as meticulous in my remembering to give to God what is His. My time, talents, and treasure to begin with, but also my obedience, my patience, my best. It's a good time to remember to pay what is owed, to Caesar what is Caesar's and to God what is God's.

I'm so thankful for:
216. My taxes being done
217. 9 sugar-free days
218. A couple of good workouts even though I didn't want to
219. The soreness that follows
220. Katie's 100% spelling test
221. The courage to say no
222. Skype
223. Homeschooling
224. Home School Legal Defense Association and all the work they do
225. A date with my husband
226. A clean desk
227. Early morning showers with my husband
228. Good conversations with women from church
229. Pastor-husband's bold sermon, spoken with love


holy experience

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

One Thousand Gifts

holy experience